From IEEE

Patrick Gray patgperiod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 15:10:13 CST 2011

Also,

Backward-compatible with millions of power-line communications devices
already in use, IEEE 1901’s physical-layer technology provides for data
delivery at rates up to *500 megabits per second (Mbps) in LAN applications
under ideal conditions*—which translates to about *100 Mbps in a real
environment*, using the normal electric wiring found in houses, apartment
buildings, hotels, and businesses, says the working group’s chairman,
Jean-Philippe Faure.

And because it is compatible with DC as well as AC wiring, it can be used in
vehicles and to carry data to and from the passenger seats of airplanes,
trains, buses, and subways. Streaming data and passenger-entertainment
signals over the vehicle’s internal power grid instead of over dedicated
cables saves weight.

(Oh, really - and all this time I thought fiber-optic was the way to go?)

Pat KF4MTV