That was a REAL telephone :-)

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Sat Mar 5 22:22:05 CST 2011

Wasn't it the induction coil in the standard rotary or touchtone phones that took care of the hybrid balance?  All old analog phones had sidetone, and I do not recall echo ever being a problem.  I wish I could say the same for my T-Mobile phone today!

Those carbon mics were robust, however, and elements from the 40's and 50's seem to still function just fine today.  Most had a 'spit screen' of sorts over the element under the cap, and there was often bits of food and gunk wedged in there whenever you'd unscrew the cap.

Joe, N6DGY