FYI, the correct info on the Japanese nuke plant.

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Tue Mar 15 09:05:21 CDT 2011

On Mar 14, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Philip Miller Tate wrote:

> You mean, we're not all going to die of radiation poisoning next week?
>
> The main problem is that the media cannot describe the scale of the disaster to the general public. In Britain, the general public (of which I am a member only at weekends) can only measure things in "London buses" or "Nelson's columns". Areas have to be referred to as "x times the size of Wales". Unfortunately, big disasters can only be measured in terms of "so many Hiroshimas" and it's not politically correct to use that particular unit in the present situation.

I actually heard the Hiroshima reference on the radio this morning.  They called the potential for disaster as 1,000 times greater than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.  Here, it seems California is often used as a basis of measurement.  The Japanese islands, for example, would fit in an area about the size of California.  (Japan is actually about 10% smaller, but about 3.5x the population.)  For that matter the British Isles are about 100,000 sq/km larger in area than Utah.  Nice to have comparisons.

Joe, N6DGY