Interesting little repeater controller

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Mar 18 10:46:20 CDT 2011

it's interesting to look at the cables the thing uses. Note that there
are at least 4 conductors
in a 3.5mm plug. that allows it to use only two cables, one per radio,
which arguably makes it
viable (or at least attractive and simple) by avoiding a cable rat's nest.

these didn't exist before Apple caused them to be created for the iThings.
i believe the iThing video-out cable has at least five conductors total.
(they also have a jack that has both 3.5mm conductors *and* an SPIF optical
fiber termination in the same body, so they only need one hole!)

a great example of "horizontal innovation".
changing the number of cables needed for an iThing application
by improving the connectors is "simple", but as we see here
can assist innovation in a much larger setting.

     cheers,
     -mo