dd-wrt

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Wed Mar 30 19:57:02 CDT 2011

On the other hand, if you want a Wifi base station That Just Works,
as opposed to the very valid purpose of goofing on wifi to learn about it,
the Apple AirPort Extreme is about as sweet as they come. I've had the
misfortune of using a very large fraction of everything that's been out
there up until 18 months ago or so - when i got the AirPort Extreme.

for those of you who wish to go a bit more "hand-on" than just flashing
code,
check out

     netgate.com

for a whole raft of tasty bits like build-it-yourself routers and wifi
things,
and mini-PCI Wifi cards (some of which run high power!), and lots of
stuff on
the ocean of software available for this world.  Monowall is a common
choice,
and Jim Thompson, one of the netgate folks, is a major contributor to
pfSense.
Jim is as knowledgeable about the ins and outs of wifi hardware as
anyone i know.
he designed the hardware at at least 3 startups and can give the mother
of all
lectures about the ugly foibles of the direct-conversion wifi chips, the
common
errors people make doing channel assignments in their wifi nets, etc,
etc, etc.
he's a veritable fount of knowledge.  i've been after him to write a book
but no luck so far.

     -mo