Fwd: HF Testing plan (for Bull Run Run on Saturday)

Tom Azlin N4ZPT n4zpt at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 07:20:14 CDT 2011

Hi.

Paul W4RI suggested that I send this out to you all. those of you that
are within range might be interested in helping by giving us signal
reports that include your station antenna description.  Several of us
are taking advantage of radio support to the 50 mile Bull Run Run to
test some HF comms.  I sent out this plan to K3MT and out on one of the
section HF nets as well.

If you have a chance to listen in, particularly on the ODEN/A phone
frequencies and can later send me signal reports that would be much
appreciated. Might be an occassional NCS request for check ins from
stations off of the course. NCS will be K7BC or KI4D.  I will be at the
"Do Loop" early, perhaps operating by 0730 for some early testing from
the start/finish to the most distant location on the course.  NCS will
likely be up dawn to dusk. The VHTRC web site has a page on this race.

73, tom n4zpt

-------- plan sent to volunteers at the BRR50 --------------

Goal is to conduct a first informal test using HF NVIS.  The 25 mile
long course might be long enough to do this, might be close enough we
are in ground wave coverage.

Will be using SSB Lower Side band, Olivia 4/500, and EasyPal on 40m and
80m.  Basic participation is just 40 meters SSB.  If you can switch
to 80m then you can follow down there for an SSB check. If you have a
sound card program capable of Olivia then you can step over to the data
segment when we test here. If you have EasyPal then while we are in the
phone segment we can test sending images.  Might not do too many of
these cycles as this is time available by the "off duty" NCS operator at
the time.

For Olivia 4/500 you can use MixW, the flidgi suite, HRD/DM780, or
MultiPSK for the ODEN/D check. The other software is EasyPal for images.

Basic plan is to home at the ODEN/A 40 meter frequency of 7240 kHz LSB
in between other tests. NCS is expecting to guard this frequency on a
time available basis while not checking other band or mode. If all you
can do is come with 40 SSB and one antenna this will let you participate
in the basic test.

All freqs may shift based on other QSOs or nets in progress. But be near
ODEN/A and ODEN/D frequencies.

Testing cycle would be to

1.  check signals on 7240 kHz / LSB,

2.  Switch to EasyPal and test

3.  drop to 3947 kHz / LSB for a signal check,

4.  Switch to EasyPal and test

5.  switch to 3578.5 kHz USB/1300HZ/Oliva 4-500 for signal quality check,

6.  then come back up to ODEN/D 7050 kHz USB/1300HZ/Oliva 4-500 for
signal quality check,

7. then return to 7240 kHz / LSB for a while.

Items #2 and #4 may be skipped.  Testing on 40 LSB many start as early
as 0730 AM depending on rain.

We may set up and use EasyPal on the secondary operations net frequency
of 53.040 MHz. No image versus data band segments there.

Summary
Secondary Net Frequency – 	53.040 Simplex
HF Test Frequencies – 		3947 kHz / LSB
				7240 kHz / LSB
				3578.5 kHz / USB
				7050 kHz / USB