Website design software?

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Sun Apr 17 22:37:47 CDT 2011

If you're concerned at all about having your site being used for distribution of malware to visitors, RS' concerns re: PHP are fairly well-founded.

PHP is easy to use but has been extremely problematic from a security standpoint. Additionally, the wiki.php.net site was compromised last month and all wiki account credentials were compromised. To the PHP folks' credit, they audited their source code base and looked at every commit since 5.3.5 but didn't find any malicious additions to the source code base.

Trusting the button to do everything right is iffy with pretty much any vendor. Sourceforge discovered in January that they were compromised. It's still not clear just how much validation they actually managed to complete, though they too say they're trying to review all of the code bases there.

The issue with PHP is that it has been the least common denominator for building vulnerable websites for years now. It's not impossible to do the Right Thing with it, but there's a legacy of difficulty.

--Bob S.