Crown Castle

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Fri Apr 29 01:03:08 CDT 2011

Frank:

How did you find out Crown Castle is involved?  It seems unlikely
because the phone and power companies generally manage their poles
themselves.  The exception from time to time Verizon Wireless will
allow American Tower to manage their actual towers.

I also wonder where you live, other than it being Northern Virginia.
In most areas, the wireless companies can locate on buildings or erect
a monopole, and in some rare cases, actual towers.

In NoVA, Great Falls, specifically along Georgetown Pike, the NIMBYS
are particularally strong, and exceptionally well funded.  They have
prevented the use of monopoles, with a very few exceptions like the
replacement of the tower at the Fairfax County Fire Station in Great
Falls in order to accomidate wireless carriers.

If you look carefully as you drive down Georgetown Pike you will see
brown utility poles with brown boxes side mounted to them near the
base, along with a brown meter base, and brown transmission lines
leading to smallish brown antennas mounted around the pole at the
top.  I believe these to be AT&T Mobility sites, but that seems to be
so out of character for them -- after all, they don't care about
coverage much.

I would like to stop and inspect one of the installations for
information as to who owns them, but that would be dangerous as there
are few places to pull over or even walk beside Georgetown Pike, which
VDOT would like to make safer, but those well funded NIMBYS don't want
the road fixed.

I wonder if some knowledgeable NIMBY didn't put the sign up you your
local pole in order to scare people who live nearby.  Nearly no
wireless company wants to notify the public of what they are up to
because they don't want to give those who would oppose them any
information.  Of course if the local zoning administrator forces them
to put up a sign, they will, but those signs are generally required to
have contact information on them that either lists the government
person to contact or both government contact and the company contact.

--chip