Pre-electronic night vision

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 9 16:40:25 CDT 2011

  Was the device you're thinking of called a Metascope? If so I've owned
and experimented with a couple of them, still have one in my collection.
An interesting mix of fast Schmidt optics and IR sensitive compounds.
Image resolution was so-so but useful enough for 'invisible' code
communications.

Richard