Field Day, Charleston division

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Mon Jun 27 15:45:06 CDT 2011

Mel convinced me to join the Trident Amateur club (TARC) here in
Charleston for field day, callsign N4EE.  I have visited there in the
past, but this is the first time that I operated.  The TARC Field Day
operation is in what must be one of the largest field locations I have
seen.  A local ham and avid Boy Scout supported (Oscar Meyer) has a HUGE
spread on Johns Island, near the ocean.  It must be over 100 acres, and
includes a pond about 1/3 the size of Lake Barcroft (including an
island) in the middle of his property.  He also has a series of
telephone poles planted around the periphery of the large cleared
section of his property (to string antennas between).  It is a
wonderful, remote site.

We had two transmitter positions, a phone station and a cw station.  The
phone station used an HF vertical antenna, and a "portable" tower and
tri-band beam, deployable on a trailer.  The portable tower and beam
worked great.  The CW station used a 80-meter dipole strung between two
phone poles.  It used my new K3/P3 as the rig (with its internal ATU).
The two stations ran two laptops connected by wifi for logging.

I spent most of my time with the CW station, which operated most of the
time on 40M.  The internal tuner of the K3 worked great to tune this
antenna.  I operated from about 11PM to about 4AM, and then again from
about 6AM to 830AM.  My CW was rusty, but I eventually found my mojo,
and was able to make many contacts in S&P mode.  At about 1230PM Sunday,
I went to the phone station and operated 15M and then 40M until the
contest ended for us at 2PM.

Operating on field day caused me to re-evaluate my decision to purchase
a K3/P3 instead of a Flex Radio SDR.  I must say that in the end I
totally believe that I made the right choice.  The K3/P3 worked
flawlesly, and was the epitome of simplicity to set up or operate, even
for non-SDR users.  No computer to cause problems (just a separate
laptop running logging N3FJP software).  Almost no RF problems.  We only
had one issue when trying to run on 20M CW, a separate keyer caused the
K3 to get stuck in transmit on 20M.  Switching to the internal K3 keyer
solved that.  Note that the RV we were operating in was parked directly
under the antenna, which helped cause this one issue.  I cannot imagine
a Flex running in the same conditions.  Note that Lyle Johnson, KK7P, of
TAPR and packet radio fame, wrote the K3 DSP software.

Using the P3 in a narrow bandwidth mode (25k?) allowed us to see the
various CW stations right around us in freq, and I quickly found that I
could recognize any new stations that fired up, via the display.

I have nothing against the Flex radios, but I believe one of them would
be far more difficult to set up and operate in these portable
conditions.  Just adding the computer itself brings in a whole raft of
potential problems, most of which require many clamp-on chokes to
solve.  Plus, unless you use a laptop for the second-half of a Flex rig,
you are susceptible to computer problems every time the generator
hiccups or shuts down for refueling.  Also, I am finding it becoming
more and more difficult to find laptops with firewire built-in, a
requirement for Flex 5000 or 3000 rigs.  The Flex 1500 uses USB, so
that's a little better.

Plus, I'm not so sure about operating a Flex, or ANY other QSD/QSE based
rig in the close-in multi-station operations.  While QSE images and
other artifacts may meet FCC requirements, operating multiple positions
in such a close-by environment makes those issues become relevant.  The
same with QSD sensitivities to nearby transmitters operating
off-frequencies.  The issues of phase and gain balancing, and can become
major operating too close to other stations, and especially if multiple
rigs are all QSD/QSE based.

Don't get me started with computer operating systems either.  Whether it
is Windows, and its ever-increasing throttling of SDR-required
operations (hardware interfacing, DRM - which is the equivalent of
Digital LACK-OF RIGHTS for anything other than what we can charge for,
DLL incompatibilites), or Linux, where the package "gods" decide to
constantly make unnecessary changes that breaks previously-working
systems and requires many hours to resolve, or Apple, which seems to be
going down the Microsoft model of treating customers as antagonists, I
don't want a rig that is significantly based on any of these overkill
systems.

I used a standard 350VA UPS to power the K3, but I heard the UPS
constantly switching between AC and battery power, so I ended up
plugging into the surge protection side of the UPS, not the actual UPS
outputs.

I realize that the above may be difficult to resolve with my pro-SDR
stance, but I believe in using the best tool(s) for an application, and
I don't believe we are there yet for multi-station, field operations
using present-day SDR rigs.

What would probably change my mind would be a rig based on DDC/DUC SDR
technology, with a small, DSP-based back end instead of a generic
computer.  Using DDC/DUC pieces gets around the whole QSD/QSE and their
assorted band-aids.  Using a DSP-based back-end (ala Pic-A-Star, SDR
Cube, or other similar hardware) gets around the generic computer problems.

The Flex people like to complain about Elecraft K3 "fanboys" or
"fanbois", but they can be even more rabid.  I expect to get flamed
here, but as this recent operating experience proved to me, a
high-quality rig that I can plunk down and have running in less than
five minutes with zero trouble is of primary importance in the field.
Will SDR rigs get there?  YES.  Absolutely!  Are they there yet, I don't
think so.  But, that's just me.

(this is also meant to elicit contrary opinions and facts).

Flame-proof suit is on, go at it!
Thanks.
Terry