Book: "Fatal System Error: The Hunt For The New Crime Lords Who Are Bringing Down The Internet"

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Jun 27 19:28:32 CDT 2011

People do not understand that the Internet has been invented in real-time,
and sometimes not-quite fast enough.  Since there had never been anything like it
in the world before it was built, nobody understood all the issues we now understand.

What is true, however, that it was clear from the beginning that "the network" was
not designed to be "secure" because even if it were, only a fool would trust it.
The computers attached to the network were supposed to be the security boundaries
and to protect themselves, which many of them can do quite effectively.

It is also the case that a number of us anticipated some of the kinds of things that
have happened (although not the scale - nobody anticipated the scale) as a result
of attaching a trillion utterly promiscuous PCs to the network, all running software
with the integrity of wet toilet paper. Hell, ANYONE in the computer biz with the slightest
serious academic exposure knew what would happen. But that didn't stop a zillion copies
of Windoze 95 from grabbing their ankles and waving their butts in the air at any and everyone.

If anyone is responsible for the current security situation, it's Bill Gates and his horrid software spawn.

There, I said it. He made billions while utterly screwing everyone else on the Internet and it's still going on.

Nobody has the balls to put that in print, however, me included.

     - mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.