Powerpole connectors (was: Re: Summer AMRAD Party + Is there a tool for anderson-power-connectors)

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Jul 3 03:51:52 CDT 2011

<w3hxf at cox.net> writes:

> Is there a tool that pops them appart?
>
> Anderson 30 Amp Connector in the plastic bag they package & sell:
> contains 10 Black Hoods, 10 Red Hoods:
> The hoods already have the metal contact inside that will'nt pop out.
> See the green connector picture in the middle of web site:
>
> http://www.peigenesis.com/connectors/by-manufacturer/anderson-power-connectors.html
>
> Is there a tool that pops them appart?

Yes, I have one in my toolbox.

http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meters/anderson-powerpole-insertion-removal-tool.html

Even with the tool, I can't imagine that getting them apart is a
picnic if there's not already a cable crimped to them.  As inexpensive
as they are, I just buy the hoods in bulk and get an assortment of
appropriate sized contacts from Powerwerx
(http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/housings-contacts/ - the
15/30/45 hoods are all the same size, it's just a matter of different
sized contacts for different sized wires).

50 each of black and red hoods plus qty 100 30a contacts (the ones
you'll mostly use) plus 50 each 15a and 45a contacts so that you have
more contacts than hoods...  you'll mess some up when you're putting
them on...  will set you back, are you ready for this, a whole $68.00
plus shipping and handling from the link above.

So my counsel is "don't try to cheap out".  On the not-cheaping-out
note, don't try to get by with the cheapie $10 crimper.  You no longer
have to pony up for the $140 apiece crimpers from Anderson.  This baby
is the one you want.
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/accessories/tricrimp-crimping-powerpole-contacts.html

-r