Interesting Book: "Parallel Worlds" Quantum Computers too far off topic?

Richard revo753 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 17:39:17 CDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am currently reading a really fascinating book, "Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation,
 Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos" by Michio Kaku.

One topic, which might interest this group, is Quantum Computers.  Likewise, the comparison of Parallel Universes to radio waves may also interest the group.

[Note: I am not sure of the
 group's guide lines for reliance, so I am taking a chance in posting this.  If this is too far off topic, please let me know, and I will not go this far off topic again.]

This book is about the Many Worlds
 Interpretation of the Quantum Mechanics collapsing wave function (of the Schrodinger's cat experiment).  The conventional (Copenhagen Interpretation) says, as I understand it,: The cat is both dead and alive.  The Many Worlds Interpretation (MWI) says the cat is dead in one universe and alive in another!  The observers in the room, likewise exist in these two universes!  This book builds on the MWI  first proposed by Hugh Everett in 1957.  As I understand it, MWI, while not accepted by all scientist has gained adherents in recent years.

The book among other topics mentions building Quantum Computers, which would use atoms themselves to compute with, and instead of the binary 0s and 1s would use "... qubits (anything between 0 and 1)...". According to the book, such a computer could solve a problem in seconds, which would take a contemporary computer 100 years to solve!  The atoms in the Quantum Computer (and
 everything else) exist in different universes at the same time!  By working on an atomic level, the computer makes use of this.

As I understand it, a working Quantum
 Computer has been build in the lab.  It uses only 7 atoms, and has very limited functionality.  The book says a fully functioning Quantum Computer would need to have thousands to millions of atoms, and is perhaps decades away.

I hope this is of interest to the group.  If it is not, please accept my apology.  Also, please accept my lack of knowledge of this subject.  I find the topic of parallel universes fascinating, and thought you might find it interesting too.

Best Wishes
Richard