Field Plots

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 16:11:48 CDT 2011

September 1977; Durham University, England; first Applied Physics lab as an undergraduate. My lab partner and I were given bench space, a power supply, a voltmeter (analogue, but FET front-end), some silver dag, a paintbrush, and several eighteen-inch-square sheets of teledeltos paper. Instructions: spend the next three hours painting a variety of 2D electrode patterns on the paper, then map out the equipotential contours. Was it a good practical? Heck, I can still remember the details nearly 34 years later, so it must have created an impression as least as great as my wedding day.

They don't make practicals like that any more.

Phil M1GWZ