Messages! Messages in the shrubberies!

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:07:37 CDT 2011

Hopefully this isn't too off topic.  I figure that it's somewhat likely that
a reader on this list might be able to enlighten me.

I happened to be looking at the aerial photography on Google Maps for the
area around where Loudoun County Parkway crosses Hwy 50 and I discovered
something that I can't come up with a good explanation for.

In this view: http://bit.ly/olf425

... you'll note that in the median along 606, from Rt. 50 south to Tall
Cedars Pkwy, and then north along Tall Cedars Pkwy until it dead ends, there
are red and white graphics in the shape of stars, crescents, arrows and
other less familiar forms.  I've put pins in the map next to each along with
a description to make them easier to pick out.

Does anyone have any idea what they are?  I'm open to the suggestion that
they're purely ornamental, but from the road the designs aren't visible so
they'd be ornamental only for people flying by overhead.

Cheers & 73,

-Mark KA8I