Printer makes functioning tools

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 05:52:17 CDT 2011

Amazing. Now, the only thing that gets me curious is that there are essential gaps in that wrench - for example, around the screw thread and the jaw guides - that are COMPLETELY INVISIBLE from the outside of the finished wrench, because they are enclosed. How the heck are those identified in the scanning process in order to be reproduced as clear moving parts in the printed version?

I am reminded of Robert Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" in which the central character wakes up in an alien reproduction of his bedroom, which the aliens have modelled from his memories while he is asleep, only to be amused by the fact that he can't pick up his slide rule, because it is part of the desk. The aliens didn't realize that it was an independent object.

Phil M1GWZ