RF ADC

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri Jul 29 15:25:02 CDT 2011

Andre, I have to disagree.  Many, many years ago, I designed something
important for work around a National Semi IC, using a spec sheet that
appeared 100% a legit product.  I kept hearing that it would be available
Real Soon Now, but was not available Right Now.  Eventually, I was told that
the part would not be made, and that the spec sheet was in fact just a
"feeler" to see if there was market interest in that product.  Never mind
that the spec sheet did not say "preliminary", "potential product" or any
other term to indicate its vaporware nature.  This actually happened more
than once, but I had been forewarned.

To this day, I avoid Nat Semi parts whenever possible, except for voltage
regulators and other meaningless items that I can second-source.  I will NOT
use Nat Semi exclusive ICs of any complicated nature if I can help it.  I
will design AWAY from Nat Semi.  I never even consider their A/D or D/A
devices.

I would not trust an Nat Semi product announcement unless I found the part
listed as IN STOCK at Digikey.  Even then, I would prefer another vendor, as
it might become discontinued before I received my Digikey order.

And, I think Nat Semi is playing fast and loose with the specs on this chip.
Never let reality get in the way of a good product announcement.  If
something seems too good to be true....
Terry