root kit

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Tue Aug 2 09:57:45 CDT 2011

That will work for most of them, as long as you take care to overwrite the Master Boot Record, as many hide in there these days. If I were going to try that, I'd do the reformatting from a computer booted off of read-only media, like a "live CD."

It is not certain however as there's at least one proof-of-concept of a rootkit that survives disk wipes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bios-virus-rootkit-security-backdoor,7400.html

--Bob S.