root kit

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Wed Aug 3 21:46:29 CDT 2011

Rob's answer is correct (of course), and he is many yards ahead of me
in IT stuff, but I do believe there is more to be said.

In the days of DOS, Format really meant something.  It was a real disk
format, it ignored what was on the disk, and it bombed everything on
the disk.

Today, that is not so.  That "low level formatting" is mostly not
available.  Today it is "high level formatting" which mostly just sets
up the file system in Windoz.  A high level format does NOT remove
your data.

I am no expert, so I suggest you read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatting

Plus there is a lot of other information on both Wikipedia and on the
Errornet.

The bottom line is that unless you use something like DBAN, the disk
is not "erased."

Frankly, it is so bad that I won't throw out hard drives.  I will
disassemble them then pour freon into them, which removes the magnetic
surface from the platters.  Rob tells me there is a place where you
can take the drives and actually watch them shred them.  Both are
good, and the shred method is more enviornmently friendly.

Today, drives are nearly free, so I don't see the point in attempting
to use used drives from outside sources.  Just drop them off for
recycling and install new drives.

I bought two 500 GB 2.5 inch drives that failed EARLY.  It was when
they were very new, and bleeding edge technology.  I COULD have
returned them for warranty replacement, but I had no way to clean them
-- thus, they are sitting on a shelf waiting to be destroyed.  My
privacy is more important than the cost of the drives.

--chip