sorry about your shiny new publc safety radio infrastructure...

Tom Azlin N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Wed Aug 10 11:21:40 CDT 2011

Hi Bob S.

Seems to me that the core argument of the article is nuts two ways.
Suggesting that all public safety radios switch to spread spectrum is
nuts. Talk about cost! Just after forcing communities to pay twice once
for phase I P25 and now for phase II P25? And the second way is that the
users are stupid if they discuss sensitive stuff on an unencrypted radio
or any interceptable link for that matter. The military has been taking
advantage of that stupidity since the Civil war when telegraph was being
used and abused. Make sure users know to use encryption when they have
it and use call phones or land lines when they do not. And make sure
that the FCC knows it is expected to support geolocation of interfering
signals. And make sure the operators know how to spot this.

I also thought that the P25 IMBE voice stream re-synced on quite short
intervals. Have to go check. (Later this year or early next year the
NVFMA will have a dual mode FM/P25 repeater up replacing the broken
447.025 exciter in addition to running FM repeaters and D-STAR repeaters.)

Then one could also talk about opinion/fact that the whole forced
transition to digital voice from FM repeater/trunked radio systems and
the forced narrow banding is pretty short sighted in the first place.
Almost as if the manufactures simply had saturated their market so had
to come up with a new idea.

Does point out how our FM radios and repeaters are perfectly fine and
quite robust in fact in some ways more robust than the radios being used
by our pubic service/safety brethren. And even we can be jammed quite
easily. Happens all the time around the country. Sometimes we never
catch the deliberate jammers.

73, tom n4zpt