AFIO: Cybertheft and the US Economy

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Tue Aug 16 20:33:30 CDT 2011

*Cybertheft and the U.S. Economy.*In August 2011, the cybersecurity firm
McAfee released an eye-opening report (PDF) detailing its investigation
into a multi-year, most likely state-sponsored cyberattack that includes
intrusions into the U.S. federal government and defense contractors,
resulting in the theft of massive stores of intellectual property. The
report's author and McAfee's vice president of threat research, Dmitri
Alperovitch, describes these attacks, known as Operation Shady RAT, as a
profound threat, indicative of a larger trend that may result in "the
complete destruction" of the U.S. economy. Rather than focus on the
potential for a theoretical "cyber Pearl Harbor," he says that U.S.
policymakers should use all of the nation's power to stem the steady
theft of national secrets.

What do you see as the broader implications for U.S. cybersecurity
policy given these Shady RAT attacks?

The policy discussion up to date, at least in open circles, has been a
bit misfocused. The challenge has been that everyone has been talking
about waiting for this massive event--a "cyber Pearl Harbor"--but what's
really happening is that we're suffering a "death by a thousand cuts."
It's not one event, such as our electric grid going down, but rather a
wholesale transfer of wealth from our economy (PDF) to our adversaries'
economies that's been going on for the last six years or more. The
results of these activities, especially theft, will manifest itself in
dramatic ways over the years with reduced economic growth, reduced
competitiveness, a loss of jobs, and everything that comes with that.
While we should be worried about destructive attacks that can cause
widespread damage, physical damage, and even potentially loss of life,
the massive espionage (WSJ) that's been taking place is really the more
pressing issue.

What's the first step to getting at this problem? [Read more:
Masters/CouncilonForeignRelations
<http://www.cfr.org/cybersecurity/cybertheft-us-economy/p25639>/11August2011]