ARRL/TAPR DCC Forum Schedule, Banquet Speaker & Sunday Seminar Announced

Mark Thompson wb9qzb_groups at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 05:02:09 CDT 2011

   The 30th Annual
ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference
September 16-18, 2011 - Baltimore, MD
http://www.tapr.org/dcc

Update September 2, 2011
The speakers schedule is posted to the DCC web site at www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC_2011_Schedule.pdf
     - A full schedule of paper presentations and invited speakers.

Sunday Seminar Topic announced - see below
 There is Something for Everyone!!

Introductory Talks (Saturday)

    Introduction to Digital Data Modes - George Heron, N2APB
     Introduction to Digital Voice - Mel Whitten, K0PFX
     Introduction to D-STAR Digital Voice & Data - Mark Braunstein, WA4KFZ
     Introduction to APRS - Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

Main Session Talks (Friday and Saturday) See speakers schedule posted at www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC_2011_Schedule.pdf

Sunday Seminar

     Universal Ham Radio Connectivity by Callsign Workshop - Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

     With Today's proliferation of wireless electronic devices, we need a transparent means of providing end-to-end ham radio connectivity for both text and voice to any ham anywhere using any device and only his callsign for addressing.  Our callsigns are unique in the world.  We should be able to use them for placing a call or text using any system in real time.  The goal of this workshop is to look at the handful of VOIP and more than 26 different text messaging systems in Ham radio and see where we can provide transparent connectivity.  We invite experts on all systems to participate and share ideas towards this goal.

Demonstration Room

     Be sure to bring your projects to show in the demo room. Even if you are not speaking. Each year at the DCC a separate (and lockable) room is provided for people to bring and show off their latest projects. Tables and power will be provided. Bring your equipment and display for all to see, learn, and ask questions about. Be sure to bring a small sign and/or flyer naming and describing your project.

Saturday Night Banquet Speaker

The Village TELCO - David Rowe, VK5DGR

There are now billions of mobile phones all
 over the world. However in many developing countries, mobile phones are simply too expensive to use. For example, in a country where people earn $1.50/day, a phone call can cost 21 cents/minute. This is a huge tax on communications.

David Rowe, VK5DGR, will describe how a community
 of people from around the world set out to fix this problem, using a mix of Wi-Fi and open source
 software. The result is the Village Telco - a DIY telephone company that anyone can set up.

A Village Telco is constructed from a network of "Mesh Potatoes" - small Wi-Fi boxes that are mounted on homes in a village. They form a mesh network, relaying telephone calls for each other. Each Mesh Potato connects to a regular telephone inside village homes. Phone calls on the network are free. A local person in the Village can be trained in a few hours to set up and maintain the network.

To build the Village Telco we borrowed many ideas from Ham Radio, such as sharing hardware designs and community networks.

The talk will include real world stories of how Village Telcos are helping people in several developing countries, and explain why a simple phone call that we take for granted can be so important.

Registration

Are you ready?  Here's a check list:

- Have you booked your travel?
- Have you booked your hotel room? (see below)
- Have you registered for the DCC? Go to https://www.tapr.org/dccregistration.php to sign up.

Hotel

Four Points by Sheraton BWI Airport, Baltimore, MD.

Use the reservation link below or call the hotel directly (phone numbers below) and mention the group
 code DCC (Digital Communications Conference) when making reservations.

Four Points by Sheraton BWI Airport
7032 Elm Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21240
Reservations: 1-800-368-7764
Phone: 410-859-3300
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=856

Submitted Papers

DATV-express: A Lower Cost Approach to DATV
Charles Brain, G4GUO and Ken Konechy, W6HHC

A Shadow Ad-Hoc TEMPn-N Network
Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

CW Mode for the NUE-PSK Digital Modem
Dave Collins, AD7JT and George Heron, N2APB

APRS and the Android Smartphone
Sagar Gupta, KC2VSG

Practical Implementations of Bluetooth in Microcontroller Circuits
John A. Hansen, Ph.D.
 W2FS

Public Service Event APRS Web Mapping for Wireless Devices
Ted Jacobson, W8KVK and Rob
 Jacobson, KB9AFT

WRC-12 Agenda Item 1.19: Regulatory Considerations for Software Defined and Cognitive Radio Systems
Brennan Price, N4QX

More experiments with Delay and Disruption Tolerant Networking over AX.25
 Networks
John Ronan, EI7IG, Darren Long, GØHHW and Kristian Walsh

A Further Comparison of
 Different TCP/IP and DTN Protocols over the D-STAR Digital Data Mode
John Ronan, EI7IG and Cathal O’Connor

Codec 2 – Open Source Speech Coding at 2400 bit/s and Below
David Rowe, VK5DGR

PhoneSat: Balloon Testing Results
Mike Safyan

Modulation – Demodulation Software Radio (MDSR) Software for the BiLiF computer interface
Alex Schwarz, VE7DXW

Schedule

Friday
8:15 AM Conference Registration and Demonstration Room Open
9:00 AM Welcome and Introductions
9:30 AM Technical Presentations
Noon Lunch
1:00 PM Technical Presentations
6:00 PM Break
7:00 PM Social
11:00 PM Demonstration Room Closed

Saturday
7:15 AM
 Conference Registration and Demonstration Room Open
8:00 AM Welcome
8:15 AM Technical Presentations
Noon Lunch
1:00 PM Technical Presentations