SDR Cube a quality kit

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Thu Sep 8 20:36:56 CDT 2011

I’m sorry that the weather affected the AMRAD meeting so much.  I wanted to say how impressed that I am with George Heron’s (and OH2NLT) SDR Cube kit.  I have an SDR Cube Development setup sent by George, as I am considering how to interface it to the Charleston SDR & Digilent FPGA boards.  I have since ordered and received a complete SDR Cube kit, less the Softrock 6.3, which I already have.  I anticipate cutting some traces, and soldering additional wires directly onto the dsPIC chip for the Charleston interfacing, so I needed my own boardset.

The kit has excellent instructions, see the sdr-cube.com website.  Each board comes prepackaged with its own parts, with SMT resistors and capacitors taped to a paper sheet, and ICs in a small anti-static bag.  I have put together almost two boards so far, and everything went together very nicely.  Almost Heathkit quality instructions and construction techniques.

I normally don’t like to push a vendor, but this kit is very well done.
Terry, WB4JFI