A fat mid-range and warm liquid tone ?

bbruhns at erols.com bbruhns at erols.com
Tue Sep 27 11:49:41 CDT 2011

I remember a little Fender guitar amp with a 6V6 in the output, class A, with just a little bit of negative feedback.  It got that speaker resonance boom just fine.  It fuzzed ok too when overdriven.

Yeah that 'Spirit In The Sky" fuzz was 'fat'. It bulged out nicely when driven hard, and it added greatly to the musical line.

I'm sure that the old booming juke-box sound probably had a lot to do with tubes in the output stages, light negative feedback and strong speaker resonance.  Solid state amps would have to be designed as current-source outputs, with a little negative feedback, to do that.  It can be done.

One friend put an incandescent light bulb in series with a push-pull tube guitar amp.  The light brightened when he played, and the amp fuzzed very remarkably well, with a strong compression effect, and at relatively low volume levels.  I suspect that might be rough on the tubes, but I don't know what kind of life the tubes had.

   Bob, WA3WDR