A fat mid-range and warm liquid tone ?

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 17:35:10 CDT 2011

As a recovering audiophile, your description below brings back memories of
things I have heard tubes do that *almost* no solid state amp I have heard
does.  There is only one exception and that was a pair of mono-amps that, if
I recall, were Swedish made running pure class A.  At the time, they would
have cost me about ½ of a year’s salary.  In the same system, I heard the
difference between a top end turntable/cartridge and a very good CD player.
The CD player collapsed the sound stage and dynamic range, both were playing
the same source material from Phantom of the Opera.  Speakers were B&W
801’s.  I don’t recall the preamp, but it was a hybrid SS/tube.

Jim, KR9U