UK Amateur Radio Astronomy

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 6 12:39:35 CDT 2011

tacoistas,

There is some good work going on in amateur radio astronomy in the UK.
I ran across a nice web page that was linked from the FunCubeDongle news
group over at Yahoo.  Note that the builder how has then in stock.  See

http://www.funcubedongle.com/

There is a British Astronomical Association and they have meetings and a
nice web page on radio astronomy at

http://www.britastro.org/radio/

Dr David Morgan has been doing a lot of fun stuff and has written up
some nice papers which are linked on that web page.

An SDR Radio Telescope at:
http://www.britastro.org/radio/projects/An_SDR_Radio_Telescope.pdf

A Radio Telescope Pre-Amplifier Head at:
http://www.britastro.org/radio/projects/Radio_Telescope_Preamplifier_Head.pdf

Construction of a 3m Parabolic dish for 1420MHz at:
http://www.britastro.org/radio/projects/Construction_of_an_Amateur_Radio_Astronomy_Antenna.pdf

Amateur Radio Astronomy Measurements of Galactic Neutral Hydrogen
Distribution at:
http://www.britastro.org/radio/projects/Hydrogen_Line.pdf

and finally at a lower frequency with a couple of yagis a paper
Detection of Extra Galactic Radio Source Virgo A  at:
http://www.britastro.org/radio/projects/Detection_of_Radio_Source_VIRGO_A.pdf

These fun papers should get your juices flowing and all show things well
within the reach of radio amateurs.  It looks like there is lots more
you can find here.  If you were interested by our visit to the NRAO at
Green Bank then some of this may tickle you into some more thought and
action.

I have interest in using the Charleston receiver to simultaneously
resolving the different Doppler shifts of the neutral hydrogen line of
the milky way.  See the hydrogen line paper page 3 where he shows how
how can resolve the different Doppler peaks with an IC-R7000.  With a
suitable down converter the Charleston should do this and more.

Frank K0BRA