EAS Test today

Bob Rice, KG4RRN kg4rrn at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 20:05:17 CST 2011

Hello,
I was able to gleen from recent info from the FCC site about the test, that it would not include NWS stations with the codes that were given.
This presents a 'gap' if you will, in the alerting protocol.
Would someone explain this as a not all inclusive test, and why.
There seems to be some confusion from members of the amateur community as
to why the NOAA EAS was also not part of this national test, and I cannot see the relevency in explaining how the codes, or lack thereof, have to do with a generic SAME alert. If in the case of no code for the national alert being used, why would just NOAA
weather radios be affected,and all other mediums included ?
D-STAR update:
I conducted a simplex test which is on a IC 2200H and still contact Phil, W3ICS on 145.670 DV mode from Summit Point in
West Virginia to East Of Frederick Maryland on 25 watts.
Phil has a DSTAR hotspot, and that is communicating with a DSTAR repeater which outputs on a selected Node in memory. In this case node REF 20 or 25B
Thus we have seemless D-STAR voice from West Virginia (which has no Digital repeaters)to wherever we need a link.
This demonstrated pulling a digital signal from a simplex ham frequency, recieiving it and retransmitting the signal over the infastructure to a DSTAR internet NODE much like echolink.
73 all.
4RRN

President, Jefferson Co. WV.
Amateur Radio Club