EAS Test today

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sat Nov 12 19:51:53 CST 2011

Now you are catching on!

The problem is getting the audio from the President to all of the NWS
offices so they can feed the transmitters.  Of course that problem
exists for the Primary Entry Point (PEP) stations.  The method used is
so 1980, a telephone conference bridge!  It appears the main reason
for the biggest failure of the test was misconfiguration of the
bridge.  This bridge has been described as a bunch of telephone line
couplers.  I've never worked for a PEP station, but I wonder how they
take control, and how they prevent people dialing wrong numbers, or
even predictive dialers, from getting into the system.

Back in the days of CONELRAD, we used AT&T Long Lines.  One was a
conditioned Broadcast Loop of at least 100 Hz to 5 kHz frequency
response, flat to +/- 1 dB and less than 1% distortion.  Another loop,
a control pair to turn the transmitters on and off.  Under CONELRAD,
Control of Electromagnetic Radiation, all TV and FM stations would
leave the air and some AM stations would stay on.  The stations in the
bottom half of the band retuned the transmitter to 640 kHz and the
stations in the top half retuned transmitters to 1240 kHz.  Audio was
fed to all of them, but in one area, only one transmitter was on at a
time.  Because of changing signal strengths and audio processing when
switching between stations it made listening interesting.  I have a
recording around here of a test.  The purpose of changing the
frequencies and transmitter locations was so Soviet bombers couldn't
use our transmitters as navigation beacons.  ICBMs made CONELRAD
pointless -- but it worked, and sounded fairly good, unlike
Wednesday's test, which sounded bad in DC, but couldn't even be
understood in the midwest, and had no audio at all in the west (in
general terms).

So, today, when we could easily connect to not only the PEP stations,
but to EVERY broadcast station using a VSAT dish, we don't.  Now, I
don't want that to be the ONLY way the stations get information, but
it should be ONE way.  The second way, which really won't fully work,
would be some sort of robust connection to the PEP stations, like T-1s
since conditioned broadcast loops are so difficult to have provisioned
today.

We have something coming, CAP, or Common Alerting Protocol, which will
allow the President and authorized officials to communicate with the
public in times of emergency via AM/FM/TV, plus telephone, e-mail,
text messages and anything else they can think of and find the money
to fund.  This is part of the Integrated Public Alert and Warning
System (IPAWS) project.  Sadly, the basic way this is going to be
rolled out is over the public Internet, so in a real emergency it
isn't going to work like a test, or work at all.  There are companies
marketing IP over satellite directly to broadcast stations and are
telling them that it will solve all their problems.  No, it only
solves one problem, and that is that the majority of transmitter sites
don't have decent internet connectivity.  It might as well be Wild
Blue as the FIRST MILE is over the public Internet.

One could suggest that a T-1 can be ordered up to pretty much
anywhere, but the stations don't want to pay for it.  Many stations do
have T-1s between their studio and transmitter, but that is frequently
done on RF links, like Motorola Canopy, which has very little excess
capacity after the audio is carried, or whatever the (typically) one-
way Mosley product which isn't even 1.544 Mbps.  Of course, the
station could put in a second RF link, but no one wants to spend money
on it.  It may work when tested, so why pay to make it work in an
actual emergency?

Then, more of the country and the public is covered by AM radio than
FM, and TV (well, I will reserve my rant on DTV for some other time).
AM stations are not healthy.  For one thing, the noise floor is so
much higher today.  People are moving to FM only.  Many markets have
very little English on AM, or it is English directed at Americans by
foreign governments, like the former WAGE, now WCRW in Leesburg, VA.
Even WMAL has begun simulcasting on FM in the DC market.  I was
indirectly responsible for two AM stations -- neither threw off a
profit of over $1000 a year.  The high performer was right around $800
for two years, and I bought them a $4800 remote control, though it ran
the FM too.

With low profits in medium and smaller markets, these stations cannot
afford to set up another link in order to bring in IPAWS.

However, one state is doing it right, Washington.  The state police
gave up a radio channel for EAS.  Washington has several round robin
microwave systems for their Public Safety radio systems, mostly on
high-band.  Emergency Managers have access to that network and may
direct EAS Alerts via it, using completely packaged tests or alerts,
including S.A.M.E. data.  This even gives them the ability, via the
FIPS Codes to alert specific areas in the state.

Washington also uses the typical Daisy Chain system used everywhere
else, but do it well.  I even got permission to monitor one of my FOUR
monitoring assignments via Dish Network.  The really cool thing about
that was not only could I pick up the TV station on the other side of
a big mountain, Dish had a broadcast only package that was $5/month.
The other assignments were a radio station (normal), NOAA Weather
Radio (many do), and the Washington radio channel (very rare).

Virginia is supposed to do something with their new 700 MHz Public
Safety radio system that will allow Emergency Managers in Richmond to
alert the entire Commonwealth.  Well, they cannot get the system to
work right, it is millions of Dollars over budget and the law suits
are flying.

Allow me to present some possible emergencies and the downside of
using one technology:

Imagine a solar storm that takes out communications satellites.  If
the system is satellite based, we have no system.

Imagine a HEMP event over the US.  Once again, no more satellite
communications, but most radio stations will be off the air, but not
all.

If it is only Internet based, another 9/11 type event could take down
some of the system.  Yes, I know the Internet is fairly robust and
self-healing.

There are EAS receivers with SAME capability available, but they cost
MUCH more than the old receivers with the dual-tone decoder.  Don't
buy a dual-tone only unit as it will drive you nuts.

http://www.tftinc.com/products/datasheets/eas911i.pdf

http://www.sjgov.org/oes/EASvendors.htm

The bottom line is, we are on our own.

--chip