Interesting paper on TVs, EMI, and video privacy

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Mon Nov 28 13:30:26 CST 2011

This won't exactly be news to some people, but it's interesting to see this sort of work in the academic context.

http://abstract.cs.washington.edu/~miro/docs/ccs2011.pdf

ABSTRACT
We conduct an extensive study of information leakage over
the powerline infrastructure from eight televisions (TVs)
spanning multiple makes, models, and underlying technolo-
gies. In addition to being of scientic interest, our findings
contribute to the overall debate of whether or not measure-
ments of residential powerlines reveal significant information
about the activities within a home. We find that the power
supplies of modern TVs produce discernible electromagnetic
interference (EMI) signatures that are indicative of the video
content being displayed. We measure the stability of these
signatures over time and across multiple instances of the
same TV model, as well as the robustness of these signatures
in the presence of other noisy electronic devices connected to
the same powerline.