calling all Wayne Green fans (sanity not required)

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Wed Dec 21 12:57:09 CST 2011

I'd like to see Ham Radio scanned.

Once upon a time, I had a complete (to that point) vertical of both
Byte and Kilobaud. However, when they started endangering the floor joists,
there was a great Pitching of the Sh*t. I also had a huge number of
Electronics - back when it was really the publication of record for the
electronics industry. They, too, went away, but I went through and
sliced out a very large stack of articles that I still have.

Computer Design was also a great one. It had the first article I ever
saw on caches.
Ken Omohundra, who founded Able Computer Technology, did the
original SCAT/45 bipolar SRAM memory card that used the "secret"
dedicated memory bus hidden inside the PDP-11/45 that was unused
in systems using only Unibus memory. With the hardware floating point unit,
a SCAT/45 could run matrix code almost as fast as an FPS "array processor"
with a huge pile of money left over. It was a reasonably-short jump from
there to
adding the lookup hardware and snooping the fills from Unibus memory.
The 11/70 revolved directly from that (DEC's response) by doing a MOS
memory system
with a front-end cache that used the same processor bus although with
more address
lines to increase the amount of physical memory, as well as committing the
very first Unibus Map and providing the Massbus interfaces to the MOS
memory with the full 22-bits of physical addressing.

Ken wrote articles describing the SCAT/45 and the cache design, complete
with simulations and measurements of efficacy. He later became justifiably
famous for creating the DH-11 clones that fit in one Unibus slot rather
than an entire System Unit in a BA-11X. They also worked much better, too.
Before all that, Ken designed something called the Lockheed SUE computer.
It was a genuine PDP-11 clone except it had support for SMP.  If you are
old enough, you might remember the Pluribus which was built from
Lockheed SUE hardware.  So Ken's fingerprints were smeared far and wide.
He *loved* coming to Usenix meetings because he was treated like a rock
star.
the place was swimming with people anxious to buy his hardware that was
both much less expensive and worked much better than the original DEC
versions.
The fact he dropped a lot of cash buying drinks in the bars didn't hurt,
either.
Early on, he earned the George Goble Good Bit-Keeping Seal of Approval
("His stuff just works out of the box!") which made him golden.

boy  - how's that for some serious geezin'?

     -mo