Tricorder opportunity

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.net
Fri Jan 20 16:45:26 CST 2012

This is the first one of these challenges that has really piqued my curiosity in a while.

If you want to do something with breath/headspace gas analysis and chemical sensors, I think it would be fun.

I have a colleague who once apparently developed a reliable non-invasive optical method for diagnosing BSE in cattle. Unfortunately, the economic value of "downer" cows is greater if ranchers don't actually know what's wrong with them.

We'll probably see a flood of people trying to do through-skin optical analyses and probably a few trying to find applications for SAW devices.

As far as done deals, I'm pretty sure there are several shops well down the road with non-invasive optical blood sugar analysis.

--Bob S.