A car equipped with microcontrollers and a tiny radio-transmitter

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Jan 22 21:05:11 CST 2012

Actually, glued bodies are very common, and have ben around more than
30 years.  Glue has MANY advantages.  For one, it weighs less.  More
importantly, there are no problems with dissimilar metals.  Aluminum
body panels can be glued to steel frames.  Rivets would cause
corrosion, and welding is nearly impossible.

In the early 1980s, 3M sent me some samples of double sided stick
tape.  It was stuck between materials.  The one I played with the most
was a piece of this double sided tape between two layers of those
metalized mylar strips with plenty of "tail" out of each end so I
could grip it firmly.  Over several years I was able to eventually
stretch the mylar, but I never defeated the adhesive.

I would sit at my desk on the phone, pulling on the tails.  It never
failed.

Ambulances and fire trucks are assembled with this stuff.  The only
down side is that the body panels cannot be easily removed for repair
and re-installation.  The body panels must be destroyed to be removed.

I have to admit, I thought of buying some of that stuff in order to
have some fun.  Imagine putting it on a door jam.  Now, you have the
door that can never be opened.  Then again, I am too much of a law
abiding goody-goody that would never do such a thing.

Much of the safety in vehicles is compression zones and "catches."
Look around the hood hinges in your car.  You will find some hooks and
pins which will keep the hood from coming back into the windshield, as
an example.

Playing devil's advocate, on the other end of the spectrum, mass is
king.  You have this very lightweight Tata car, and you are in trouble
in a head-on collision with a Chevy Suburban.  OUCH!  Then again, that
same Chevy Suburban has an issue in a head-on collision with a 80,000
pound 18 wheel semi-tractor-trailer.

Don't sweat the glue.  The stuff is really amazing.  Just worry about
mass differential.

--chip