Roger Boisjoly dies at 73

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Feb 5 06:19:38 CST 2012

It was for precisely these reasons that Richard Feynman refused to sign the final page of the enquiry report. He wanted to make a bigger issue of MTI's decision not only to ignore the advice of it's own engineers, but also to manipulate the safety margin values above those estimated by those experts. In the end, he was restricted to his famous statement of "one cannot cheat nature" which was a very meaningful gesture to the scientists and engineers but probably meant little or nothing to the managers and politicians involved.

Feynman's views are nicely distilled in the final chapter of his biography, "What do you care what other people think?", named after his wife's comment following Feynman's initial objection to accepting the invitation to join the enquiry.

I had no idea that Boisjoly's career was wrecked by his revelations, but I'm not at all surprised. There are few successful businesses associated with a high moral and ethical stance.

Phil M1GWZ