Electronic Design Magazine: DIY Electronics Kits Turn Hobbyists IntoEngineers

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri Mar 2 13:30:32 CST 2012

Andre:
This magazine is not alone in the world of over-hyping.  The latest issue of Elektor has a huge splash across the front cover: “AVR, Software Defined Radio”.  When you get to the article, it’s nothing more than a simple R2R ladder A/D converter.  That samples at a low rate in C, and somewhat faster in assembly.  Interesting, but, not really an SDR.  They say this is the first in a series, and will cover more, real SDR in future articles.  Probably NOT on that hardware platform, however.

But, why use such a buzzword?  Just to attract magazine sales?

At least with Electronc Design, you KNOW the primary focus is to sell parts, boards, etc.  Elektor is not supposed to be as obvious in that goal, rather a hobbyiest magazine.  However, their recent trend to sell books and kits based on project articles at rip-off prices may be a clue that they ARE going in that direction... I’ve fallen victim to buying a couple of their books, what a waste of money each time.

I felt cheated.  But, I go back for more.
Terry, WB4JFI