Electronic Design Magazine: DIY Electronics Kits Turn Hobbyists Into Engineers

Tom Azlin N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Sun Mar 4 09:17:00 CST 2012

Interesting discussion.

When I graduated from engineering school in 1976 we had a program that
included analog design classes with labs where we built things. Everyone
had to take the same classes their first two years across all the
disciplines.  Then our final 2-3 years we focused on something specific.
I chose communications/information theory. But still had to take
rotating machinery labs as well as had to use analog computers as part
of circuit design classes. Did parametric analysis to figure out what
quality parts had to be used to make the circuit work with stock parts,
and so on. And was not an engineering school that awarded BSEEs rather a
more general BSE degree. I would argue that being an "electrical
engineer" has many aspects beyond circuit design. That knowledge of
limits of performance was just as valuable as being a electronics design
engineer. But I could still be a project engineer building real things
and many times knew just as much or more as the contractors we hired to
build stuff.

I did really well in the design classes and labs anyway, perhaps by
perseverance alone.  Many of the 4.0 students had no clue how to build
real circuits but could pass exams and homework really well.

Some of the interviews I had were like those André described. Way I
figured it I could find better fitting places to work than those. And I
did. Having practical experience in ham radio, practical experience in
the analog design/build classes, AND knowledge of theoretical limits of
communications systems prepared me very well. In some cases ended up
being in charge of projects contracted out to those very companies that
had such obnoxious interview practices. Was delighted. Especially when
they offered me a job and I told them they had already rejected me
(twice in once case).

Did not have a clue on a GFI nor did I care about power electronics. Had
I cared, might have been able to invent one.

Did not have a senior project.

73, tom n4zpt