An All-band Soft Rock receiver

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Mon Mar 19 16:09:20 CDT 2012

Well, you can set a Softrock Ensemble receiver to be either HF or LF, but
NOT both at the same time.  In addition to the four bandpass filter
positions on the PC board, there are other transformers that are specific
for either HF or LF.

I have one of the Ensemble receivers, in addition to the Ensemble RxTx, and
at least one of almost every other Softrock Tony made.  Most of my Softrocks
are set for 80/40, 40/30, or HF, right now.  I have not tried any of them on
LF yet.  The Si570 oscillator does not go below about 9MHz, so you need
extra dividers to push the LO below that frequency.  I assume Tony has extra
dividers jumperable on the Ensemble, since it is Si570-based.

For LF reception, you could probably build a pretty good DDC-style receiver
for not much money, and get rid of all the QSD hassles, such as I/Q balance
problems, sound card issues, etc.  There should be some inexpensive 16-bit
or better A/D converters that will do a couple of MHz, which should be good
enough for LF.

With the Ensemble Rx costing less than $60, that's a pretty good deal.
Terry