FOIA Data Suggests FCC More Secretive Than CIA

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Tue Mar 27 21:14:20 CDT 2012

*FOIA Data Suggests FCC More Secretive Than CIA.*
<mailbox:///C:/Users/andre/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/1yew16ru.default/Mail/incoming.verizon.net/Inbox?number=61143462#toc_fcc>Recent
data suggests that the FCC, not the nation's intelligence leading
agency, has been in at least one particular case the most secretive
agency of the Obama Administration.

During a House appropriations subcommittee hearing Monday, Florida
Republican Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart noted that the FCC's denial rate of
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests was significantly higher than
the rest of the federal government.

Citing publicly available information from FOIA.gov, the congressman
noted that t*he 48 percent of FOIA requests the FCC rejected* in 2010
was far higher than the *CIA's 0.7 percent *rate. The *National Security
Agency denied 0.5 percent of requests*. Homeland Security denied 0.2
percent. The rest of the government, the congressman noted, denied a
collective 7.3 percent of FOIA requests during that same time.

"Why does the FCC all of a sudden have more secrets than the CIA when
you're dealing with FOIA requests?" asked Diaz-Balart during the hearing.

"Well, I am not familiar with those numbers and I haven't heard them
before, We'd be happy to look at them together with you, and try to
understand the trends," Genachowski said to the congressman. "Certainly,
we recognize our obligations under FOIA and we have a team of
professionals who handle FOIA requests and understand their obligations
to comply and meet their obligations under law."

Several of the requests, according to FOIA.gov's data cited by the
congressman, were denied under the justification that requests were "not
reasonably described."

"Under your watch, the FCC denied about 16.4 percent of FOIA requests
based on records that were not, quote, 'reasonably described,'" said
Diaz-Balart to Genachowski. [Read more: Peterson/DailyCaller
<http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/21/foia-data-suggests-fcc-more-secretive-than-cia/>/21March2012]