FW: More on Arduino

William F. Fenn bfenn at cox.net
Mon Apr 16 17:41:43 CDT 2012

I love reading all of the discussion about the different Arduino boards and
understand what the more powerfull board does for projects.  I also agree
with Andre when he said;

"My desire is to encourage AMRADers to DO something, anything.
And starting in a simple way is better than not starting at all  :-)"

And I also agree with another of his comments;

"Once we go for higher-power processors, etc, then we may as well
forget about simplicity and attractiveness to your average Ham operator.
(That's is what I am trying to encourage: your regular ham deciding to
buy an Arduino UNO and connecting it to his/her USB port)."

Last weekend Frank Gentges, Paul Mooney and I went up to Linthicum, Md and
set up an AMRAD Display at the Annual Robot Fest
(http://www.robotfest.com/), sponsored by the National Electronics Museum.
Paul brought a prototype 40 meter receiver that he built to feed the audio
card in his computer and show how SDR (DSP)works.  Frank and I set up a
display on working with PCB's and SMT.  We also had a video loop showing how
to turn a Black and Decker toaster oven into a reflow oven.  Glen
Baumgartner, George LeMasters and Martin Rothfield were also there.  Glen
and George made it possible for three of us to get lunch and Martin, who was
showing a DC Hack project off, helped us (along with George) load our
display into back into the van at the end of the show.  I will also thank
the folks at ARRL for shipping me a load of brochures on very short notice
for a very reasonable shipping fee.

Our goal at Robot Fest was to get young people interested in the "Do It
Yourself" aspect of Amateur Radio.  Our setup was in the room where the
museums Amateur Radio Station is located where  and a number of Hams were on
the Air (40 Mtr & 20 Mtr).  Let's just say they were not operating a GOTA
station.  Our method was to strike up conversions and explain what DIY and
ham radio is.  We would then have them go over to where the hams were on the
air an pick up a brochure announcing ham radio classes.  My feeling is we
just might have interested a number of people in DIY and may have generated
a few more exams for the VE's.

Most of the youth, ages 7 to 12, were with their parents.  There were also a
number of teens.  There was another group (not hams) outside who set up a
bank of soldering irons and had little inexpensive kits for the kids to
solder (they also provided adult supervision for this).  We shared some of
our DIY brochures with them.  I doubt that most of the kids who were being
introduced to a soldering iron would be up to an Arduino at this time but
give them a year to two and they will run rings around us old f--ts.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Frank, Paul and I didn't sit around
talking about what kind of kids we would meet or what was simple or
complicated or whether we should take the time or use the gas.  Instead we
got off our butts and got the job done. The same holds for projects - you
have to start somewhere and I have found that the simpler start can attract
more people who are looking forward to more complicated things.

Maybe AMRAD should produce a very simple, inexpensive crystal radio kit that
can be taken to events such as this and be constructed by the youth.  Let's
say keep the price under 2 or 3 bucks (including ear buds) by using items
from around the house.  Or does this suggestion bring us into a discussion
on whether we should us a galena crystal or germanium diode.  Maybe we need
to use silver wire instead of copper wire for the coil ... Nope, this is no
good, we have to use litz wire.  But we really need to bias the diode and
add a transistor for an audio amp.

Oh Well!  Who's going to show up to help the kids build their crystal set.
We are all to busy discussing the pros and cons and can't decide on how to
get the job done.

By the way, we may have a safety hazard at Tippy Taco's,  our butts are
getting bigger and the chairs are beginning to come apart.  We need to get
off our butts and get some projects on the burner that are good for both
AMRAD and Ham Radio.

Bill
N4TS

By the way, has anyone got a Linksys WRT54G router Ver. 1, 2, 3 or 4 that
they would be willing to donate to AMRAD for a project.  Frank and I have
two and are looking for couple more for a project.