Amazing: the US automobile industry discovers the Diesel engine...

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 14:20:34 CDT 2012

Diesel engines have long been touted in the UK as "green" and "non-polluting" simply because they don't contain tetraethyl lead and, eventually, the CO emissions were brought under control. However, the hydrocarbon emissions they produce are filthy and a great deal more hazardous to public health than unleaded petrol. Ethanol is very clean by comparison and burns very efficiently to carbon dioxide and water - mere greenhouse gases - but the energy-per-gallon figure is a lot less than diesel or petrol. It also makes little sense to have constantly to toss up the 'economic' advantages of whether to convert a grain crop into food or fuel - but probably inevitable in the long term.

Phil M1GWZ