Story Behind the Story: National Semi's speedy ADC

Mike ODELL mo at ccr.org
Wed May 9 18:57:25 CDT 2012

There is an intermediate National part with 14 or 16 bits  resolution but slower sampling.
It's designed for advanced cellular base stations and in fact has two converters
In the package to get I/Q out of the ADC stage.

At some point one has to ask the question about direct coverage vs
putting a mixer stage ahead of the ADCs. With good synthesizers
like the SiLabs units, one might trade continuous bandwidth for
Dynamic range with block tuning if that can still get  sufficiently
Wide slice-o-Hertz.

Wideband receiver, spectrum analyzer with TG, 2 or 4 port network analyzer,
Transceiver...... All of these start looking a lot like each other when an 8 channel
0-75MHz Digital receiver strip fits on a small card and an equally powerful
I/Q exciter does as well. Synth/mixer on another, etc etc.

The new FPGAs with quad-core Arm A9 SoC with all the  peripherals
You want to run Linux with multiple gigE spigots, tightly coupled to the
FPGA fabric has  all kind of possibilities, ESP if you put the UI on
a fondleslab.

It's not just receivers that are going to be disrupted - the test equipment guys
Are going to have to step up too.

Now think about putting a fully-balanced power amp at the feed point of an antenna.
Nothing but power up on copper with waveforms up and down on glass fiber.
Very wideband balanced impedance transformer - it ain't an antenna tuner - it is
The output coupler.

Radio deconstructed - as it happens.

      - mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.