High Performance Receiver design

Gerald Wolczanski jerrywlinux at comcast.net
Fri May 11 19:56:12 CDT 2012

Good article.  They reference Sherwood Engineering.  He gave a nice
little talk at Dayton.  Here's the link:
http://www.sherweng.com/audio/Sherwood_CU_2008_final_b.wmv

My real-world experience with receivers is aided, if I may call it that,
by a 22kw AM station 3km from my QTH.  My Palstar R30 (90dB dynamic
range) is brought to its knees, saved only by a notch filter.  The only
radio in my collection that is not perturbed by the AM station, my
63-year old TRF regen, the German Torn.E.B.

My ancient Ten-Tec 509, which has a 40673 mixer and a tunable
pre-selector also stands up well to the onslaught - there is much to be
said for the old single-conversion designs.

Jerry
KI4IO