AMRAD at Hamvention

Mike ODELL mo at ccr.org
Sat May 12 21:12:52 CDT 2012

A big issue with H2 tankage is that embrittlement is a serious problem which is
magnified by the high pressure need to get much H2 a given volume.
I suspect that makes cylinder re-use a rather riskier proposition,
enough so that it probably wrecks the usual cylinder gas economics.
Most places I know of that really use externally supplied H2 take it as a cryo-slurry
because of the volumetric efficiency of storage and transport.
Btw - it was NASA that figured out how to slurry H2 because that's the
only way to carry enough to actually use it  fuel. Even pure LH2 has crappy
density compared to slurry. The most amazing part is that it's done easily with a catalyst
instead of insane pressure and the slurry is far more stable and flows better
In the fuel lines than pure LH2.

Just one more area of technology that barely existed at all before Project Apollo -
Producing, handling, and using cryogens in industrial quantities.

        -mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.