Free Internet for AT&T, WAS: New Flex 6700 - anyone at Dayton?

Patrick Gray patgperiod at gmail.com
Sun May 27 09:18:09 CDT 2012

Hi Chip, et al,

      Before my present job supporting an FAA contract, I spent 12 years in
the wireless telecoms industry.

    I share your frustration having been a subscriber myself with the three
wireless carriers you mention, and contracting to all three in various
phases here in the Wash. DC Metro area at the same time. I was working for
Ericsson (whom AT&T chose as their wireless network vendor in in the DC
metro area) at the time when AT&T chose to go with IS-136 at 1900 Mhz doing
an overlay on top of Bell Atlantic Mobile's (Now Verizon) 850 Mhz. In other
areas of the country AT&T had bought and renamed McCaw Wireless' Network,
which had used Ericsson IS-136 on 850 Mhz.

    AT&T knew that they had coverage area gaps before they dropped the
first Radio Base Station in place. They planned on mitigating this through
the use of Tower Mounted Amplifiers (TMA) in lieu of leasing additional
cell site locations which is costly. Yet even with TMA's in place a number
of critical sites were unable to "hand-off" with any measure of cell phone
traffic. Add to that, AT&T's cell phone rates were appreciably higher than
that of competing carriers. Eventually, AT&T built in the additional
coverage required of their network and even got around to locating a Mobile
Switching Center (MSC) to downtown Wash. DC, having previously back-hauled
their switching functionality to Philadelphia,PA and Queens, NYC - amazing
what a backhoe or bulldozer can do to make you see the light!!

   Well, about this time, with surmounting debt after numerous failed
acquisitions and general mismanagement, AT&T Wireless decided to solicit
herself to Ma Bell's streetwalker cousin SBC Cingular. With Cingular's
acquisition, they now had coverage into major Metropolitan area in both the
East Coast and West Coast areas of the US. As well, Cingular had dual and
sometimes trio-coverage over major segments of wireless licenses and were
required by the FCC to sell or divest of this excess spectrum. Also, they
had numerous cell sites that were adjacent to each other both on expensive
leased city rooftops and suburban radio towers.

    Worry Not!! For they had a solution for this, they would literally
disconnect and de-install these radio base station cabinets and drag them
back and forth between shelters or run extended length RF jumpers laid out
on the ground with no use of multicouplers or combiners, just simple
Mini-Circuits RF splitters hooked up, usually haphazardly until the leases
could be negotiated and the excess spectrum sold off. And you know what?
Those little RF splitters would get really hot to the touch for some
reason. Still don't know why! (tongue in cheek)

    SBC (Southwestern Bell) having acquired AT&T Wireless, trying to market
under the Cingular name, was having problems with PR, and keeping wireless
subscriptions from departing, decided to re-Brand itself, after due
diligence, as the new AT&T Mobility using the name and an approximation of
the old "Death Star" graphic - how fitting. About this time SBC acquired
the last of the AT&T wireline remnants, a hollow shell of it's former self,
and again SBC using the AT&T nomenclature for branding.

Chip, if I had to identify the one party responsible for allowing the
dissolution of the wireless industry in the US it would bethose folks who
occupy the offices at
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554

Every single cellular radio site requires an FCC license for operation. If
they were regulated and enforced like they should be, you would have full
signal strength reliable service wherever you go - on pavement that is.

Whist that unmentioned aforementioned agency was fighting it's Holy Wars on
BPL, the rest of the wireless industry was dying away - in my humble
opinion.

    A little history, the IS-136 standard was partial GSM standards and
functionality, but built on top of the Advanced Mobile Phone Service (AMPS)
developed by Bell Labs and Motorola in the late 1960's, which by the 1990's
was arguably obsolete, but was believed to allow a faster deployment in
North America because of the AMPS component. GSM the Global System for
Mobile communications, was begun in the1980's in Europe and was started
from a blank slate, with the (cooperation? - I'd like to have been a fly on
the wall during some of those defining standards debates) R&D and inputs of
several hardware manufacturers and carriers. they left open many areas in
it's architecture for "weight and space reserved for" for the technology to
mature.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

73's Pat KF4MTV