Subject: A universal plug socket... at last?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Sun Jun 3 09:09:56 CDT 2012

The last data center that I built about 5 ago was all 220V downstream from the UPS systems into all of the equipment cabinets.  The savings due to I^2*R losses in all the distribution wiring was noticeable.  And copper is expensive!  As noted pretty much all the equipment have switching power supplies that can handle it with no problem.  We just had to order 220V remotely-controllable power strips with IEC "sockets" and hundreds of IEC power "extension cables" to connect the equipment.

louie