The Xerox-820

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 9 15:12:37 CDT 2012

Alberto,

The Big Board was designed from scratch by Ferguson and was known as the
Ferguson Big Board.  I bought one of the first, built it and it was
great.  Xerox bought the rights, put 5 1/4 drives on it with a small
tweak to the BIOS known as PFM.

Xerox's change to the hardware caused the heads to momentarily load on
power up.  The bad part was the WRITE command was also energized
momentarily.  This caused any disk in the drive to trash a small portion
of the disk, usually the boot sector.

After much tracing I found it and solved the problem with two pull up
resistors on a 3 state gate that kept it from the momentary trashing
problem.  I passed this fix around and many Xerox 820s were fixed.
Unfortunately, the company and stores did not put in the fix and
customers were dissatisfied with their 820s and it was one reason they
killed the program.

This did not afflict the 8 inch drives.  I still have my Ferguson Big
Board with 8 inch drives and it booted last time I tried it.

Frank K0BRA