anti-static bench mats

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Mon Jun 11 21:23:51 CDT 2012

I pretty much agree with Rob.

I either use wood or synthetic benches (Formica, Nevermar...)  I
absolutely won't use a rubber gun mat.

I don't work barefoot most of the time because of an event that nearly
killed me.

I use a wrist strip with a high resistance in series.  I am not going
to arc, and I am not going to die.  Yet, I am going to protect the
components.

There are many wrist straps.  Some are really cool, and fall into the
$20 price point.  Some have no snaps, and no clips, and are free.  All
work just as well.

I install memory and drives in computers with no grounding straps.  I
make sure I touch a big piece of metal first.  I have yet to cork any
components.

--chip