anti-static bench mats

wb5mmb wb5mmb at pobox.com
Mon Jun 11 22:55:49 CDT 2012

Hi Mike, I use a light blue mat with at least 2 layers made by I
think 3M. We got them years ago from somewhere. The wrist strap has a
1 Meg resister in it and from the ground snap to a 3x5 Al plate
pressed on the mat is about 10Meg. Testing with the traces of the pcb
resting on the mat can cause problems. I keep a few small strips of
plywood around as spacers. They are also good to keep what ever you
are soldering from melting the mat. You can also get conductive
laminate and conductive floor tiles but they are pricey.
For carpet I use ACL Staticide #2005. It is about $18.00 a quart but
it will last for years spraying every 1 or 2 mouths. It works
great,  but start at the side of the room away from the door and work
your way out and stay out for 5 min or so as it is a bit gross to breathe.
techni-tool.com has mats and the spray but I would shop around as
they can be a bit high.
Lack of ESD control can cause problems that do not show up for a
while. I became a believer after being involved in an incident where
the damages ran into at least 5 figures in 1980s dollars.
      Sandy
      WB5MMB