USB cautionary tales

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Fri Jun 15 09:36:48 CDT 2012

Back in the late '80s or so when I was working at the compute center at U of MD in
College Park, we had a department that ran 10Mbit Ethernet coax between two building.
As Mike described, there was a lightning strike and a bunch of Ethernet transceivers
of the "vampire tap" variety got blown up.  They were, of course, conveniently
located in the suspended ceiling over a couple of floors.

We got involved and looked around.  Noticed a bit more than 10V difference in the
ground potential between the two buildings in question, as I recall.  And the shield
on an RG-8/-213 equiv. coax cable can carry a lot of current when it was tied to
the building ground on either end!

louie
wa3ymh