Terabyte Internet

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Jun 26 20:15:59 CDT 2012

"James Wolf" <jbwolf at comcast.net> writes:

> Can anyone explain the theory behind this?
>
> [[http://gizmodo.com/5921058/scientists-create-wi+fi-that-can-transmit-seven-blu+ray-movies-per-second]]:p>
>
> Jim, KR9U

I have yet to hear of a modulation scheme that manages to cheat
Shannon and Nyquist.

Perhaps that's why the signals only go 1m?  With the bandwidth they're
talking about needing for each channel (even assuming immodest gains
attributable to their funky modulation), noise floor and snr have got
to be a bitch.

I'd love to hear more, particularly when they manage to make the
signal go, say, 15 meters in an environment more complex than free
space in an anechoic chamber...  Perhaps this is an operative lesson
in developments attributed to "scientists" and "researchers"
vs. "engineers"?

I'll defer to those with more cred than me (are you reading this mo?)
to cut loose with some better snark.

-r