Ham Spread Spectrum WiFi Question

Tom Azlin N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Wed Jun 27 21:00:09 CDT 2012

Thanks Maitland.

Your reply seems sound to me especially for using ham radio to
substitute for paid internet service. Lifeline email maybe. That
Ubiquity link is pretty extreme and awesome!  Might cost more to just
hook it to an ISP pipe than to get Hughes satellite internet service!
Not to mention buying the 1.5 gb/s link!

Kirk, That's a hard one.  Number of microwave tcp/ip bridges available
for 1-10 mb/s with 10-30 mile range but you have to have a place to put
the other end and a good path along the way. And hope there is no
interference on the part 15 bands. Splat! can help look at your path to
some other location.

http://splat.ecok.edu/ = you will have to read the instructions, load in
your location, likely other ends and see what works.

Or go to just simple text email and use WinLink2k via a 2m or 70cm
packet link. If no Winlink2k location reachable via packet then HF
Winlink2k works well for just email. Or pay for the same Hughes service
that RVers and country folks get. And rent videos.

I've friends and family that live out in the country. They go with
Hughes with dial up as a backup. Or if they are lucky get a 3G cell
phone card. Still fair $ cost either way.

73, tom n4zpt